Maddox Carroll Awarded as Billy Joe Young Player of the Year

The panthers very own, Billy Joe Young Field, holds a great amount of significance for the students, faculty, and all of those in the community. Each year, it gains even greater significance for one individual who is awarded a great honor in Billy Joe’s name. 

The Brookwood native, Billy Joe Young, was tragically injured on the football field in the early 1950’s and his football career sadly came to an end. This didn’t stop him from supporting the panthers. He continued to attend Brookwood football games for many years after and cheered for his fellow panthers any way he could.

At the beginning of the 2022 Panther football season, Brookwood brought the number three out of retirement. Every year since, a player is awarded the “Billy Joe Young #3”. This number is given to a player who exemplifies the passion and grit Billy Joe held for Brookwood Football. This player is dedicated, hard working, and a true leader. This is the highest honor of achievement in the football program.

Head football coach, Mike Bramblett, says “This player is a tremendous athlete and brings their best to the program everyday. They continue to show up and work hard despite all they’ve been through.”

For the 2023 season, all-star senior Maddox Carroll will be wearing the number 3 jersey.

Maddox is known for his bright outlook on life, on and off the field. His teachers and coaches describe him as outgoing and diligent, but most of all a fantastic leader to all of those he meets. If you know him, you know he doesn’t meet a stranger. 

Carroll has overcome much adversity going into his senior season. At the beginning of his junior year, he suffered a freak accident, sidelining him the past season. With the help of doctors, surgeons, and prayers from the community, Maddox has made a remarkable comeback allowing him to play his senior year. 

“The ability to play wearing the #3 has given me a stronger motivation to better myself.   I am incredibly thankful for my coaches who have entrusted me to wear this number, and my goal to is represent Brookwood and the community well.” stated Carroll.

Maddox Carroll is certainly deserving of his honor and will continue to to inspire many students and individuals around the Brookwood community. 

View Comments (2)
Donate to Brookwood's Trusted News Site

Your donation will support the student journalists of Brookwood High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.